How is mine different from Nicole's?
Although I kept many of the basic design elements of Nicole's hutch (hop-through holes, cage-style doors, Besta furniture), my dad and I didn't follow her tutorial exactly:
- Instead of tile flooring, we opted to use laminate hardwood because it's durable, and doesn't weigh as much.
- I couldn't find the wire grids that Nicole bought from The Container Store, so instead we cut a 6', $7 length of closet shelving to make the cage doors.
- In addition to the original Besta furniture that Nicole used, I also purchased an additional piece & glass door to make the living space larger.
- Nicole used circular hop-through holes, I made mine domes. It would actually have been MUCH easier to just do circles, because it was a pain in the BUTT to get the aluminum to follow the curve of the domes.
- My dad and I used the shelves that came with the Besta furniture to make the doors, rather than dowels, and used hinges to attach them.
- I was too lazy to track down the Capita legs in the self-serve area of Ikea, so I just grabbed Besta ones instead... I may change later, but for now I think it's the perfect height for Jack to jump in and out of.
- We added ledges along the bottom edge of the hutch to (hopefully) keep pellets from rolling out.