For the past three months, I’ve been debating whether I want to stop relaxing & let my natural texture grow out, or keep relaxing as usual. There were days when I’d be so annoyed with my hair, and the Dr. Miracle’s kit was SO tempting, but I kept deciding to let it go. Fast forward to 2 days ago, when I relaxed the mess out of my hair and got it back to (my) normal. Today, I’m glad I did it, and don’t know why I tortured myself for 3 months – I realized that I like to wear my hair straight, and if I’m natural, it’ll be very difficult to wear my hair the way I like to. I’d actually end up using way more heat trying to get/keep my natural hair straight than I ever would with relaxed hair. I’m a firm believer that relaxed hair can be healthy, long, and beautiful – despite the bad rap relaxers get, my hair is at its best when processed with the creamy crack… and I’m ok with that =)
- My whole detangling/washing routine changed. Instead of shampooing/conditioning in the shower, then getting out and parting my hair in front of the mirror, things were way more complicated & took a long time. I’d wash my hair, rinse, then saturate my hair with conditioner that had a lot of “slip” ( I loved this one the most – cheap & very slippery). Then, while the conditioner was in my hair, I’d section off a piece, detangle with a paddle brush, rinse it, and immediately twist it up into a bantu knot. The whole process took a good 40 minutes, then I’d have to shower, and then I’d have to blowdry, and straighten my hair. Ridiculous.
- I went through so much conditioner… Obviously I wasn’t using my HG conditioner – it costs way too much to be going through as much as I did.
- I started breaking out on my face – and I NEVER break out. Ever.
- My edges and hair at the nape of my neck (kitchen) never behaved. I had pieces of hair sticking up all the time, and hated wearing my hair in a ponytail because I had little pieces sticking straight out.
- Styling my hair would take MUCH longer, but the actual style would immediately give up once faced with things like humidity/rain/sweating. I would start out with a decent blowout (left), but after getting hot, or walking outside into humid/rainy weather, my roots would end up looking like this (middle). It was really annoying & frustrating! After a relaxer, my roots stay much straighter – even after a humid, sweaty, 90 degree day (right)