What I didn't like
- My whole detangling/washing routine changed. Instead of shampooing/conditioning in the shower, then getting out and parting my hair in front of the mirror, things were way more complicated & took a long time. I'd wash my hair, rinse, then saturate my hair with conditioner that had a lot of "slip" ( I loved this one the most - cheap & very slippery). Then, while the conditioner was in my hair, I'd section off a piece, detangle with a paddle brush, rinse it, and immediately twist it up into a bantu knot. The whole process took a good 40 minutes, then I'd have to shower, and then I'd have to blowdry, and straighten my hair. Ridiculous.
- I went through so much conditioner... Obviously I wasn't using my HG conditioner - it costs way too much to be going through as much as I did.
- I started breaking out on my face - and I NEVER break out. Ever.
- My edges and hair at the nape of my neck (kitchen) never behaved. I had pieces of hair sticking up all the time, and hated wearing my hair in a ponytail because I had little pieces sticking straight out.
- Styling my hair would take MUCH longer, but the actual style would immediately give up once faced with things like humidity/rain/sweating. I would start out with a decent blowout (left), but after getting hot, or walking outside into humid/rainy weather, my roots would end up looking like this (middle). It was really annoying & frustrating! After a relaxer, my roots stay much straighter - even after a humid, sweaty, 90 degree day (right)