- Usually inexpensive ($20-$30 for a wash/blowdry/curl)
- You can choose to go straight from the sink to a chair for a blowout with a round brush (costs a little more, like $4), or have your hair put up in rollers & dried under a hooded dryer. Some women opt for the rollers because it's less damaging, but I always get the brush. i don't have 3 hours to sit in a salon under a dryer, and I use the round brush method twice a week at home anyway.
- Amazing results - you can opt for super straight hair, a slight bend at the end of your hair, or a head of curls (costs a little more).
- Usually you can bring your own products for a small additional fee - great if you're picky about that kind of thing
- A lot of heat is used. Some women have issues with the amount of heat used, but my hair hasn't been negatively impacted by it at all.
- You will be there FOREVER!!! No appointments, you're taken in the order you arrived. You can't always choose your stylist, you get whichever one is available. Lord help you if you get there during a popular time like weekend mornings. Set aside like 5 hours for the entire process - no joke. I got to one salon at 10:45a, was called back to be washed at 11:45, and walked out at 2pm.
- Customer service usually lacks. Be prepared for your stylist to be on the phone, or eating, or talking to coworkers/friends instead of focusing on making sure you have a good/fast experience.
- They're always in the hood. They're never in nice areas of the city, and I don't know why.
- They close early on weekdays - usually around 5pm, which i don't understand. Even if I got off at 5pm, they'd already be closed. Who exactly is their target customer? WHo has 4-5 hours before 5pm on a weekday to get their hair done?!
I've gone to two in the Philadelphia area, I would recommend either one:
Maria's Dominican Unisex Salon 3808 North Broad Street | Philadelphia | PA (215) 227-4959 * There are three other locations in Philadelphia, you could go to any of them.
El Pueblo Dominican Hair Salon 270 South 52nd Street | Philadelphia | PA (215) 471-8150RESULTS:
- More of a professional setting - you can make appointments with a specific stylists, the experience is catered to making sure you are happy, and they usually stay open later
- The stylist have experience with different hair types, and know which products/tools to use.
- It can take longer than an hour at some salons to be in and out.
- It's hard to find someone you trust.
- Each stylist is different, so you need to find one that works well for you & your hair.
- Prices can go either way - definitely more expensive than Dominicans though.
Jamez Smith @ Anbrea's Beauty Salon (Yelp Page) 4141 Ridge Avenue | Philadelphia | PA (215) 991-9181 It costs me ~$75 for a wash/blowout/style Jamez also does house calls for a $120 minimum (email | website) * I currently go here